Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Another confession already...

Yep, I bought some yarn while I was in Banff and Calgary last week. Maybe I should change the blog name to Stashing Up. I justified my purchases because I will likely not go back to those stores again in a very long time. I feel a little like a yarn junkie - there's always a reason to justify that little skein or rope of beautifully dyed roving.

So the first purchase was in Banff, a blend of Qiviuk blended with silk (50% Qiviuk 50% Mulberry silk). The silk seemed to make qiviuk halo to glow. The sales woman made sure to let me know that all green items were 10% off for St. Patrick's Day and I love green yarn. I got this stuff from Jacques Cartier Clothier - I found a Qiviuk blend crochet cardigan there retailing for a whooping $850.00!


I am contemplating making gloves or a scarf. Whatever this turns into is it going to be super warm.



In Calgary I went to Make One Yarn Studio where I bought some roving and a skein of lace weight yarn. They specialize in independent dyers and spinners . This roving is from Rocky Mountain Dyeworks - I have such a hard time resisting pretty green colours - especially with how gray the Edmonton winter still is. The colour is called Pine Drops and the wool is 100% super wash Blue Face Leicester (one of my favorite sheep breeds to spin and knit with). Perhaps once spun they may become mittens for me or one of my girls.



The lace weight yarn is from Tanis Fiber Arts in Montreal (or that's what the store owner told me). It is 100% Merino wool. The store owner told that when it is knitted up the final pieces look like Velvet!



I like to crochet lace weight yarn into graments - a dress for one of my daughters. It gives the final project lovely drape without being bulky. Perhaps that is what this yarn is destined for...

Stash Out


2 comments:

  1. NOM yarn! Excellent choices, and I LOVE visiting Make One. They let me try out a SpinOlution Mach II wheel once - the spinning was like playing with a pendulum, but the wheel looked like a Sesame Street Honker.

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://shop.history.com/detail.php?p=259947&v=aetv&ecid=PRF-2103216&pa=PRF-2103216

    ReplyDelete